Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 6: Menu July 12

This week our menu was TEX-MEX SLOPPY JOES Watermelon feta salad, GRILLED SALMON Honey lime corn & Mango salad,  BEAT THE HEAT TACO SALAD Guacamole, RICOTTA SQUASH SANDWICHES Black bean stuffed avocado, and PASTA PRIMAVERA Watermelon slices.

Everyone loved the tex-mex sloppy joes. It was a favorite for this week. It was different from the sloppy joe I grew up loving (a bottle of ketchup in each batch). This had carrots and tomato paste. We used honey to slightly sweeten the mixture. We had watermelon as our side an omitted the feta cheese.

James and I enjoyed the grilled salmon. Charlotte loved the corn. The honey lime sauce was a great touch. It tied the corn to the salmon. I have corn classified as a cookout or BBQ side, but the sauce gave the corn a level of elegance that matched the salmon. This was Charlotte's first experience with mango. She loved it. The salad was well balanced with sweet, crunchy, and earthy flavors and textures.

Beat the heat taco salad used the meat from the sloppy joes. This meal was average in my book. I was super disappointed about our lack of homemade guacamole with this meal. For some reason. I cannot purchase a ripe avocado. And surprisingly unripe avocados are hard as a rock and resemble the taste of raw broccoli. :/

We made the ricotta squash sandwiches using better than ricotta cheese substitute. I cannot tell you if it was the substitute or the original recipe... But I can say that this meal was awful. So awful, we spit our one bite out and then ordered cheese-less pizza. Also again our avocados were hard as rocks. I tried the black bean and mango mixture, but felt that it did not have balance or a good flavor. The beans totally overpowered the mango.

We did not make the final meal because I was pretty discouraged by the previous meal and the overall state of avocados that I purchased. So I am a little frustrated this week, but I refuse to quit on our journey with fresh healthy eating. We are saving lots of money and losing weight.

Tune in next week as we make our own pesto and introduce Charlotte to mushrooms.

Weight loss update:
James: 12 lbs
Felicia:  9 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment