Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 7: Menu July 19

This week our menu was GARLIC CHICKEN Massaged kale, SHRIMP PESTO PENNE Grilled grapes, PESTO SAUSAGE PIZZA, CHICKEN SALAD PITAS Green beans and bell pepper sticks, and PORTOBELLO CAPRESE Avocado Caesar salad. 

Garlic chicken

The grilled chicken was juicy and favorable. Can I just say I love how much we are using the grill this summer!?! It yields delicious foods and little to zilch clean up in the kitchen. :) this was our first experience with raw kale. It wasn't bad but I'd rather it be cooked into a soup. :)

Shrimp pesto penne

We subbed salmon for shrimp this week because we had leftover salmon and it saves money to use what you got. The pesto was homemade and wonderful. We skipped the cheese in it due to allergies and used walnuts instead of pin nuts since we already know DD can eat walnuts. We were fasniated by the grilled grapes; however, I much prefer frozen. :) Overall, this meal was a crowd pleaser at my house. (Pasta dishes usually are!)

Pesto sausage pizza

Another favorite dish this week. Charlotte and I skipped the mozzarella cheese. This dish was pretty straight forward. It is my family's opinion that you can't go wrong with pizza. Yum!

Chicken salad pitas

This meal was my favorite this week. We subbed soy based yogurt so it would dairy free. I typically like to use coconut based yogurt, but our local store is having trouble with the manufacturer because they are temporarily out of stock. :( This chicken salad used the grilled chicken from meal one.  It was the kind of chicken salad that includes grapes (my favorite). I enjoyed how the grapes added crunch and a burst of sweetness and moister. Sorry the picture doesn't show the chicken salad itself, but I promise it is in the pita. We were super hungry and weren't thinking in terms of pictures. 

Portobello caprese

It has come to our attention that the meatless option each week is not our style. For example last week the meatless option was the squash filled ricotta cheese sandwiches and this week this mushroom dish. I <3 mushrooms! I love them on hamburgers, steak and pizza. I do not love them on their own. I was starving when we finished this meal. Also did not get to enjoy the avocado Caesar salad due to our avocado issue (see previous post). Needless to say, from this point on... We will be contemplating the meatless dish each week and possibly skipping it. We will not buy the ingredients for the dish, but will sub in an old favorite or design a dish with all the knowledge the fresh 20 has taught us. :)

Here is an example of a self creation we had Sunday night....
Steak and mushroom pizza.

We used the remaining pesto as our base and leftover portobellos for a topping. We then added steak that was rubbed with salt, pepper, and chili powder. James had left over mozzarella. I had goat cheese (from next week's menu), and Charlotte went cheese-less. We topped it with the honey lime sauce from the corn a few weeks ago. Delicious! 

Weight loss
James: 13 lbs
Felicia: 9 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment